Will checked in a new PatternSkinHeaderArt topic.
Anton suggested on twiki-dev to package that as a contrib for other skins to use. Good idea. In any case, the header art should not ship with the PatternSkin since most logos are not designed for a dark background. See also Item1332
- Use only images with copyright question cleared
- they're pictures i took during my travels, so i have copyright clearance however, you are right that this is an important point, and we need to make sure that we have usage rights when creating header art. -- WN
- Use jpg instead of png because:
- reduced size (cobblestones.png has 203KB, cobblestones.jpg has 38KB with x10 compression)
- less browser issues
Actually I said a bit more...
I pointed out that having a Contrib ...
a won't overload PatternSkin
a can be used by other skins.
Also, Will made a mistake with these so that they can ONLY be used PatternSkin
, being 60 px high.
- i don't know if i'd call that a mistake, as it was original design intention to make header art for PatternSkin. however, you provided me with some useful information on how to make it more generic (with the positioning). thanks. -- WN
If he'd left them higher, 200, 300, then other skins such as NatSkin
could use them.
can use them by clipping and positioning.
- and what should the magic number be? just because NatSkin (which i quite like---don't get me wrong), uses 200px, is that suddenly the "standard"? although background positioning helps, it seems like there are two choices: center the image, or use the top (unless we introduce another variable or whatever to control the positioning), so there are still constraints about how header art should be created. -- WN
I have a 1280x300 image I built originally for NatSkin
I also use it with PatternSkin
. The PatternSkin
'boxes' clip it
automagically, all I supply is the offset:
background-position: 25% 50%;
Didn't Arthur have that at one time in his cookbook? I recall I e-mailed him details of this.
yes, it's here: http://develop.twiki.org/~develop/cgi-bin/view/TWiki/PatternSkinCssCookbookTopBarBackgroundImage
i will move the pictures into a separate contrib (i didn't actually mean to check them in originally, but i checked in a MANIFEST with those files listed, so i then went ahead and added them). i don't even know if
any suggestions on names for the contrib(s)?
SVN:8156 removes the sample files from PatternSkin
and creates an EmptyHeaderArtContrib
SVN:8218 - template EmptyHeaderArtContrib
(and support added in
SVN:8220 - takes the previously checked in artwork from PatternSkin
and instead now there's an ExampleHeaderArtContrib